According to Florence Nightingale, “Nursing is to bring healthy and those who are suffering from disease to a condition for nature to act for preserving heal, preventing disease and injury and to restore health and cure disease.”
Nursing is growing
with current trends and technologies in health care system; today nursing is
also influenced by consumer’s awareness, patient rights and healthcare cost.
Sikkim Government College of Nursing is an institution established for nursing education in the year 2018 by the Health Care, Human Services & Family Welfare under order No. 40/HC,HS&FW, Government of Sikkim. It is controlled financially by the department of Health Care, Human Services & Family Welfare and is academically affiliated to Sikkim University.
It is formulated to train young women as professional nurses to meet the health care needs for the society, the state and the country.
The College of Nursing strives for outstanding educational outcomes exemplified by graduates who will be recognized for excellence, leadership, and compassionate care; to improve the health and well-being of citizens in the region and around the world.
The college of nursing inspires the students to serve as a national model for strengthening the health of an individual, family, and community worldwide by providing quality patient care based on our strong commitment to the motto of the college which is to practice the profession with dedication, devotion and diligence through excellence and innovation in nursing education, research and leadership.
The philosophy of Sikkim Government College of Nursing developed by the faculty in congruent with the philosophy of Indian nursing council believes that every individual is a unique and multidimensional being with inherent worth, dignity and a right to influence his/ her destiny. Human beings are integrated beings consisting of biological, psychosocial, cognitive and spiritual aspects and each individual has the right to participate in making decisions which will affect health.
Health is a dynamic state influenced by heredity, the environment and the individual’s lifestyle. Indian Nursing Council believes that, Health is a state of well-being that enables a person to lead a psychologically, socially and economically productive life. The state of health is reflected within an individual’s physical, psychological, spiritual, developmental and socio-cultural dimensions. Individual, families and communities differ in how health is perceived and valued, and have the right to define their own health. The pursuit of health is the right and responsibility of each individual.
We believe that nursing is a dynamic, therapeutic and educational process in meeting the health needs of the individual, family and community. Scope of nursing practice encompasses provision of preventive, promotive, curative and rehabilitative aspect of care to the people across their life span in any health care setting. Nursing contributes to the health services in a vital and significant way in the health care delivery system. It organizes national health goals and is committed to participate in the implementation of National Health Policies and Programmes. It aims at identifying health needs of the people, planning & providing quality care in collaboration with other health professionals and community groups.
The undergraduate nursing programme is designed to inculcate ethical values, compassion, understanding, critical thinking, decision making and positive attitude which will help to practice quality based professional nursing in every setting. We also believe that learning environment should enable the student to acquire self directed learning and foster an attitude of lifelong learning.
The aim of the undergraduate nursing programme is to –
· Prepare the graduates to assume responsibilities as professional, competent nurses and midwives in providing comprehensive nursing services and conduct nursing research studies in hospital as well as community settings.
· Prepare nurses who can make independent decisions in nursing situations and assume the role of teacher, supervisor, manager and client advocate in clinical and public health settings
On completion of B.Sc. Nursing degree programme, the graduates will be able to:
· Apply knowledge from physical, biological and behavioral science medicine surgery, and nursing in providing comprehensive nursing care to individual, families and communities.
· Demonstrate understanding of life style and other factors which affect the health of the individual and group.
· Access health status, identify nursing needs, plan, implement and evaluate nursing care for patients / clients that contribute to health of individuals, families and communities.
· Demonstrate competency in techniques of nursing based on concepts and principles from selected areas of nursing, physical, biological and behavioral sciences.
· Demonstrate critical thinking skills in making decisions, leadership and managerial skills, effective communication skill in the clinical and community setting to provide quality nursing care.
· Utilize the latest trends and technology in providing health care.
· Conduct need based research in various setting and utilizes the research findings to improve the quality of care, advancement of self and profession.
· Practice ethical values in their personal and professional life.
· Recognize the need for continued learning for their personal and professional Development.